The Mediterranean diet like any other diet is based on a caloric deficit.
Although the mediterranean diet is a tremendous method to lose weight it is rather a healthy lifestyle being named by dietitians and nutritionists the healthiest diet in the world.
Another important aspect about the mediterranean diet is the variety of the meals, simple but healthy and full of savory as: whole wheat pasta, aromatic couscous, Greek salad.
The Mediterranean diet is one of the most promoted diets by nutritionists in the last decades. The Mediterranean diet was declared the best diet (lifestyle) of 2018.
What is the Mediterranean diet?
The Mediterranean diet appeared in the 1960s and is based on the aliments consumed by the Mediterranean countries (Greece and Italy). Studies demonstrated that Italy has the lowest obesity rates in Europe. For example, in Italy the obesity rate is approximately 10% compared to England, where the obesity rate is about 63.8%.
The specific pyramid of the Mediterranean diet:
- 1. The pyramid in the Mediterranean diet is based on sports, movement, everyday physical activity
- 2. Right after the maintenance exercises mentioned above, there is the consumption of whole wheat flour and potatoes. 3. Fruits, vegetables, peanuts, nuts and leguminous plants.
- 4. Olive oil
- 5. Dairy products
- 6. Fish
- 7. Chicken meat
- 8. Eggs
- 10. Red meat is placed at the top of the pyramid
- • As for liquids, 6 glasses of water and one of wine are to be consumed daily.
- General principles of the Mediterranean diet pyramid.
- The Mediterranean diet is not a strict one, but is a way to daily nurture yourself healthily over a long period of time.
The guide of the Mediterranean diet pyramid:
- -Increase the amount of vegetables
- -Eat lots of fruits
- -Limit the consumption of red meat and replace it with chicken meat and fish
- -Limit the consumption of processed aliments and fast food
- -Limit the consumption of dairy products that contains fat.
- The Mediterranean diet foods.
- Vegetables and fruits: as in any other diets the vegetables and the fruits are the basis of the Mediterranean diet.
- Citrus are the most popular fruits.
- The most recommended vegetables in the Mediterranean diet are tomatoes, eggplants or endive.
- Dairy products and eggs: have to be consummated maximum twice a week because they are rich in proteins and vitamins.
- Olive oil: is widely used in Mediterranean cuisine and is a good source of fat.
- Fish: a large number of carbohydrates that gives the body the necessary amount of strength and energy to do the daily physical exercises.
- Red wine: 150ml/day (5oz). The red wine brings many benefits to the body, such as optimizing the digestion.
Mediterranean diet shopping list.
In order to be able to go on the Mediterranean diet, it’s essential to buy the products that are on the shopping list.
- Fruits: oranges, lemons, pears, apples, pineapple, watermelon, figs, grapes, strawberry.
- Vegetables: Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, onions, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, beans.
- Any kind of fish and seafood.
- The Mediterranean food is based on condiments: garlic, mint, oregano, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, rosemary.
- Healthy fats:Avocado, olives or extra virgin olive oil.
How to eat.
Any kind of unhealthy food like sweets, sugar (you don’t put it even in tea or coffee), fast food, white bread, margarine, soybean oil, processed meat (sausages). Withal pre-cooked food should be avoided.
If you are among those who want to lose weight the most important aspect is the caloric deficit. Any diet, you choose to use in order to lose weight is based on a caloric deficit.
Besides the number of calories you will also find the amount of protein, carbohydrates and fats that you eat.
Knowing the exact amount of micronutrients will help you to meet your goal.
About all this I will write in another article because there are lots of things to say about this subject.